Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly event hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish.
Oh boy, I am so excited about this week’s TTT – book turn-offs. When I think of turn-offs, I don’t think of deal-breakers, just little things that make us frustrated in a book. I’m thinking Pet-Peeves. So here are my top ten!
In no particular order . . .
1. Mean Girls
I just get so frustrated with this whole mean girl stereotype. Yes, there are girls in high school who are jerks. But there are boys, too, and I rarely see them in YA book. And I the mean girl stereotype characters never have any depth to them. It’s just a bit vexing.
2. Love triangles
This is almost always a deal breaker for me, but sometimes I think it’s done well. I just have such a difficult time relating to love triangles.
I’m not a fan of any girl character over the age of 14 calling their dad “daddy.” I know that it could be a southern thing, and I’m not saying it’s bad, but for some reason I really dislike it, and when I’m reading I always stumble over it. It takes me out of the story.
4. Asshole boys
I like the bad-boy character as much as the next person, but there’s a line between a bad boy (who’s really a nice guy) and a jerk.
This has nothing to do with Twilight. I enjoyed the Twilight books. I’ve never been a fan of books about vampires. They freak me out!! The whole blood drinking thin. Eww.
It’s never okay.
Even if a book’s message is something I agree with, I hate being preached too.
8. The Hot Guy Who Always Has a Woman Ready for a One-Night Stand.
Because that’s so realistic, and exactly the kind of guy I wanna date. (Note the sarcasm).
I could only come up with eight, although I’m sure there are so many more. My brain is just not working today.
- You know those days, when then the only thing that will make it better is to crawl back into bed and start over tomorrow. Yeah, that was yesterday for me.
- I injured myself yesterday with a pair of scissors. It really hurts, and it is nasty looking, and it’s on my right-hand thumb. Life is going to be difficult while it heals because I’m right-handed.
- I’ve gotten addicted to Elementary, the TV Show. Although sometimes the outfits they have Lucy Liu wear are ridiculous. There was this one outfit that looked like a school girl’s uniform. It’s distracting.
- Speaking of costumes & TV, I’ve been watching Sleepy Hollow. Why doesn’t anyone give Ichabod Crane some new clothes. He’s still wearing his Revolutionary War garb, and although he looks mighty fine, I think they are getting a bit grubby. You know, because he was buried in them for a couple HUNDRED years.
- I did very little reading this past Sunday. I usually try to get a lot of reading done on Sunday, but mostly I watched TV. It was nice, though 🙂