Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly event hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish. It’s a freebie for today’s TTT. Since the TTT I did a few weeks ago about picture books was so popular, I thought I would list some of my favorite children’s chapter books today. These aren’t my childhood favorites, but my favorites now as an adult. I read a lot of them since I’m a children’s librarian. You’ll notice that many of my favorites of Newbery honor winners. I almost always perfect the honor winners to the actual Newbery winners. I’m not sure what that says about me. These aren’t in any particular order.
1. The Harry Potter series by JK Rowling. Obviously!
2. Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin. You guys, this book is gorgeous! A review for its companion novel, Starry River of the Sky, will be up in the next week or so.
3. Moon over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool. For once, I agree on the Newbery winner! I loved this one so much.
4. The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly. Such a wonderful work of historical fiction.
5. Matilda by Roald Dahl. I haven’t read all of Dahl’s books, but I can’t imagine liking any more than Matilda.
6. Hoot by Carl Hiaasen. Hiaasen at his best! It’s hilarious!
7. Bunnicula: A Rabbit-Tale of Mystery by Deborah and James Howe. Seriously, this one kicks major butt!
8. The Hero’s Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by Christopher Healy. This is one of my favorite books I’ve read this year.
9. Love That Dog/Hate That Cat by Sharon Creech. These books are so sweet.
10. Ivy & Bean by Annie Barrows/Clementine by Sara Pennypacker. Okay, these are two separate series, but they are very similar, in a way, so I’m counting them as one entry. And they are adorable!